| Photo: Antarctica, January 2012 |
Antarctic Abstract
Lots of white, but many shades
in solid bold strokes and lacy tablecloth
dabs. And blues. The magic cerulean of
icebergs compressed for eons,
shimmering underwater shadows of
crags plunging under tabular shelves.
Deep inky blue ocean crevasses,
gray-purple of hanging clouds, brilliant
periwinkle of endless summer sky.
Black-brown rocks like spiking teeth,
or smoothed round on rippling shores,
or tan streaked pink and white by
penguin generations of millions.
Orange glow of a sunset, clouds burning
behind a frozen ridge waiting for,
darkness that never really comes.
Then the black and white, blurred
to show staccato motions of
waddling penguin, among slate gray
puffs for chicks bent like old men
waiting to be fed.
A red slash among the penguins for
those who come wearing wellingtons,
and fire engine parkas to stare through
cameras on this alien shore, trying
to capture the colors to take home
and spread on canvases that can
never really capture the place.
Alzheimer's
My friend's husband
my husband's mother
another friend
another friend's mother
a father, a brother, sister.
It seems to lurk in so
many corners, batters
at the gates. I try not
to see the losses.
I hope the people
I knew are not really
behind this fading focus
despairing in agony,
unable to find words,
connections. My denial, yes.
I know they are there
in this unasked for place
and I know they know
at some level.
I pray happiness is
still possible and that
I will not have to know
for sure. Ever.
Alzheimer's
My friend's husband
my husband's mother
another friend
another friend's mother
a father, a brother, sister.
It seems to lurk in so
many corners, batters
at the gates. I try not
to see the losses.
I hope the people
I knew are not really
behind this fading focus
despairing in agony,
unable to find words,
connections. My denial, yes.
I know they are there
in this unasked for place
and I know they know
at some level.
I pray happiness is
still possible and that
I will not have to know
for sure. Ever.
Your Alzheimers poem is intense. I think we all pray we will not have to know this first person...and I pray that for those who ARE there happiness will be possible.
ReplyDeletePeggy, please rid this site of 'word verification.' It is a pain in you know where.
ReplyDeleteI love both of your poems, Peggy. the first is great, Antartica, so colorful and rich in imagery. I especially like that there are so many colors of white. I know that from painting but in Antartica that must be the most amazing place to see just that.
ReplyDeleteThe second one is very scary because alz does lurk in so many corners and is in my family. I hope we can find help and hope for those people with this horrid disease and for our loved ones who suffer.
YOur Antarctica is beautiful and vivid Peggy - and also somehow misty. I can imagine Monet painting it. And the AD poem is a cry from the heart, compassionate and honest and ending with the hope I have too - to never know that disease from the inside. thank you for writing about that - shouldn't be unspeakable.
ReplyDeleteI love the description in your first poem. The photo perfectly accompanies it. The Wellington's are disturbing.
ReplyDeleteAlzheimer's, thank you for this poem, Peggy. It is an awakening poem that you need to put on your FB page, and reference, if you can, the Alzheimer's Association. They will pick you up. We need people who speak out.
Peggy, you are making the most of your Antarctice photos and memories. The place comes alive through you. Cliffs and future; cliffs that are not the future. Such interesting ideas.
ReplyDelete